Subject: Re: bug#12988: [PATCH] RE: bug#12988: isearch fails to persistently indicate case sensitivity

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:55:17 -0500

> (It could be even shorter if you write only the first slash, because
> every single character on its right side would represent an individual
> flag.  E.g.: "Isearch/wc")

Agreed.

>>> I'd like to mention that a bad consequence of this approach is that
>>> the prompt string would have a variable length, so that the search
>>> string would not be shown in a stable position, making harder for the
>>> user to concentrate on it.
>> We're talking about switches which usually are not changed during
>> the search.
> Yes, the ones that appear often during the search aer those related to
> the status of the current search ("(over)wrapped", "failing", etc).

Indeed the failing/wrapped/pending messages are different and should not
cause the text to move.  But the display of search style
(case-sensitivity/regexp/word/lax/younameit) seems quite acceptable in
the prompt.

        Stefan