Subject: bug#12988: [PATCH] RE: bug#12988: isearch fails to persistently indicate case sensitivity

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:46:02 +0100

>>> I-search(NC) -- case-insensitive ("no-case")
>>> I-search(CS) -- case-sensitive
>>> I-search(CS,WS) -- and lax whitespace
>>> I-search(CS,WS,RX) -- and regexp
>> I think that would be fine, though full strings (like "case",
>> "strict-space") might be better than cryptic acryonyms.
>
> In an earlier thread I suggested "Isearch/w/c" where the letters would
> match the keys used to enable/select those options.

Sounds fine to me.  Short and intuitive.

(It could be even shorter if you write only the first slash, because
every single character on its right side would represent an individual
flag.  E.g.: "Isearch/wc")

>> I'd like to mention that a bad consequence of this approach is that
>> the prompt string would have a variable length, so that the search
>> string would not be shown in a stable position, making harder for the
>> user to concentrate on it.
>
> We're talking about switches which usually are not changed during
> the search.

Yes, the ones that appear often during the search and those related to
the status of the current search ("(over)wrapped", "failing", etc).

-- 
Dani Moncayo