Subject: bug#12988: [PATCH] RE: bug#12988: isearch fails to persistently indicate case sensitivity

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:09:19 +0100

>> I'd like to mention that a bad consequence of this approach is that
>> the prompt string would have a variable length, so that the search
>> string would not be shown in a stable position, making harder for the
>> user to concentrate on it.
>
> If that is indeed a problem (I doubt it),

I have no doubt about my how I feel when the Isearch prompt changes
during an Isearch session: I feel annoyed.  Although this change is
more frequent due to "Failing", "Overwrapped" etc, than changes in the
type of search (normal, regexp, word, ...).

> then it can be easily taken
> care of with align-to display spec.

I don't know about that, but if it puts the search string in a stable
position, that would be quite more pleasant for the users, definitely.

>> Maybe the modeline would be the best place to put all these I-search flags...
>
> The mode line is too crammed already, so you may not have enough space
> there.  But we could try putting this in the minor-mode string.

Yes, the that approach is not flawless either.

-- 
Dani Moncayo