Subject: Re: bug#12988: [PATCH] RE: bug#12988: isearch fails to persistently indicate case sensitivity

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:36:06 +0100

> If you must have some indication of the kind of i-search, add some
> clearly visible indicators, like
>
>   I-search(NC) -- case-insensitive ("no-case")
>   I-search(CS) -- case-sensitive
>   I-search(CS,WS) -- and lax whitespace
>   I-search(CS,WS,RX) -- and regexp

I'd like to mention that a bad consequence of this approach is that
the prompt string would have a variable length, so that the search
string would not be shown in a stable position, making harder for the
user to concentrate on it.

This problem has been discussed in bug #12078, where I proposed to
move all these indicators to the right side of the search string.  But
this approach has also its drawbacks, since it feels weird to have
text following the search string.

Maybe the modeline would be the best place to put all these I-search flags...

-- 
Dani Moncayo