Subject: Re: bug#1298: allow 'emacsclient -a "emacs --daemon && emacsclient -c"'

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:10:34 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 16:03, Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As you well know my taste is exactly not to add such #defines.

As you well know, some of us prefer such defines, when needed.

> There's
> not such #define in the daemon implementation in src,

But it is neeeded. What you just committed does *not* work on Windows.

> the new macro in
> undocumented,

That can easily be fixed by documenting.

> and your move was just designed as a provocation.

No, it was not; it's just that I like my emacsclient working. But
curiously I've got the same feeling from your action: that is was just
a provocation. What do you want for us to do, to engage in a pointless
commit war (because, IIRC, emacsclient.c is not yours only to decide).

Do not remove Windows changes unless you're providing an equivalent,
or better, fix. So please, revert your change or fix it so I *don't*
need to use an alternate server.

  C:\emacs> emacsclient --alternate-editor=c:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe my-file.txt
  emacsclient: connect: No se ha podido establecer conexi¾n ya que el
equipo de destino ha
  denegado activamente dicha conexi¾n

The message says: "could not establish a connection because the
destination computer actively rejected the connection", more or less.

    Juanma