Subject: Re: bug#12976: 24.2; C-c i is bound to custom function, but in a term buffer it gets bound to ido-insert-file

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 05:31:19 +0100

Josh <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I consider this not a bug.
>
> I certainly do.  From (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions") :
>
>      * Don't define `C-c LETTER' as a key in Lisp programs.  Sequences
>        consisting of `C-c' and a letter (either upper or lower case) are
>        reserved for users; they are the *only* sequences reserved for
>        users, so do not block them.

[...]

> The passage I cited refers to "all the Emacs major modes".  Is there
> any reason to believe that term.el should be exempt from adhering to
> this convention?

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

It's an oddball mode, and it breaks many Emacs conventions.  In any
case, this isn't something we can change at this point, since the `C-c'
key bindings are ingrained at this point.  (You can change
`term-escape-char' if you want, though.)

So I'm reclosing this bug report as a WONTFIX.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no