Subject: bug#12973: [TRUNCATED MESSAGE 2692 191817] bug#12973: @: overused in manual

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 23:47:09 -0500

> We should correct these style issues for each Emacs release.

    Our release strategy makes it difficult to fix these style
    changes now: if we made changes like these, either to
    the trunk or to the emacs-24 branch, that'd make it harder
    to merge other emacs-24 changes into the trunk later.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

You seem to be criticizing a specific plan for installing the changes
into the Bzr repository.  I'm not talking about mechanics like that.
I'm saying that someone should edit the manual for style and usage for
each release.  Precisely when in the release style is a detail that I
leave to others, but I would normally do it before making a separate
branch for a given release.  If it is done after that, the changes 
should be installed in both the trunk and the branch.

    While we're on the topic, the Emacs manual has similar problems with
    "@.".  Sometimes it uses "@." when it's not necessary, 

An unnecessary use of @. is not an error.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call