Subject: Texinfo compile failure on IRIX 6.5 (was: Re: failure on IRIX 6.5)

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:20:46 +0100

[+cc bug-automake]

Hi Patrice, Karl.

On 11/23/2012 03:17 AM, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 05:52:50PM -0700, Karl Berry wrote:
>>     info do not compile on IRIX 6.5.  There is an error linked with the
>>     call of depcomp.
>>
What is the dependency style determined by configure?  You might
grep for the line "dependency style" in config.log to find out.

>>  It is as if when called with depcomp the C
>>     preprocessor is not correctly used.
>>
>> Is this on the Utah machine (golan)?  Is this with gcc or the system
>> compiler?
> 
> It is on the Utah machine with the system compiler, cc.  It works with
> gcc.
>
Is the failure still present if you run configure with the
"--disable-dependency-tracking" option?

>> If it fails with gcc, I think it's worth pursuing.  If it works with gcc
>> but fails with the system compiler, I think neither we nor the depcomp
>> (automake) maintainers need to care,
>
Actually, as long as we have support in depcomp, we care that it works.
Once there is consensus we should no longer care about a given depmode,
we should remove it from the depcomp script altogether, rather than
keeping it there half-broken.

>> although I know there are still some installations left.
>>
Has been IRIX discontinued?  I wasn't aware of that.  If it has, we
might indeed want to remove support from it from the depcomp script
(that can be done for Automake 1.14).

>> (A volunteer came forward recently to make the
>> binaries for TeX Live, and I'm guessing that same person might care
>> about Texinfo, aside from Nelson.)
> 
> You mean people should test and come up with patches?
> 

Thanks,
  Stefano