Subject: bug#12967: Texinfo compile failure on IRIX 6.5

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:28:27 +0100

Hi Patrice, sorry for the delay.

On 11/25/2012 07:56 PM, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 09:53:08AM +0100, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>>>
>>> It is supported until december 2013
>>> http://www.sgi.com/services/support/irix_mips_support.html
>>>
>> Then we have to fix the sgi depmode, I fear.  But I'll need access
>> to an IRIX system to do so myself.  Another possibility is to simply
>> remove the sgi depmode; this way, automatic dependency tracking will
>> automatically be disabled for the SGI C compiler, but at least
>> simple builds with "./configure; make all" will succeed.
> 
> I'd say simply remove the sgi depmode.  I think that there is little
> point in doing more work to support a platform that will disappear soon
> anyway.  The fact that nobody reported it before is also a sign that it
> is not that much important.
> 
I got access to an IRIX system, and I couldn't reproduce a failure
with the SGI depmode.  So I say we still keep the SGI depmode in
Automake 1.13, and remove it in Automake 1.14 (which will likely
be out about the time IRIX support from SGI is discontinued).

Regards,
  Stefano