Subject: Re: bug#12954: Differences between 'su' version give different results

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:06:09 -0700

tag 12954 notabug
thanks

On 11/21/2012 09:07 AM, ybronhei wrote:
> Differences between 'su' version give different results in the following
> shell script:

> over fedora 17 I run - coreutils 8.15-8: if the file is not accessible
> by user the script prints no access, and the other way around.
> over rhel 6.3 we run - coreutils 8.4: the result of func is always
> "access" without any dependency of the file permissions.. My first guess
> was that it returns 0 because the 'su' command was succeeded, but with
> strace you see that the script runs differently.
> 
> Is it a bug?

Thanks for the report.  Perhaps it is a bug in the older coreutils 8.4
that was fixed for coreutils 8.15, although a quick read through NEWS
didn't find such a mention (only that 8.9 was the point at which
upstream quit building su by default, and therefore Fedora 17 is using a
non-default build in order to get su from coreutils 8.15).  Or it could
be a patch that is applied to Fedora but not to RHEL.  Either way,
upstream coreutils no longer maintains coreutils (newer distros, such as
Fedora 18, use 'su' from util-linux); furthermore, upstream, we only
focus on fixing current bugs, and not on backporting fixes to older
releases.  So your question should be redirected downstream to your
particular distro (that is, please file a support request with Red Hat),
as it is not something we are worried about here.

I'm closing this bug report because there is nothing further to do
upstream; but obviously the issue is real for your setup, and you should
feel free to send further replies if you have more questions and/or file
a downstream bug and want to post the results of that downstream bug
resolution back to this list.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org