Subject: Re: bug#12948: 24.1; wrong angle brackets

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 16:15:38 -0500

> With the TeX input method, \langle and \rangle yield the deprecated
> characters U+2329 and U+232A rather than the ones at U+27E8 and U+27E9
> which are for mathematical use and Western languages.  The former
> characters should not be used; they are troublesome because of their
> canonical equivalence to CJK punctuation, and are frequently rendered
> (correctly) as having the full width of a CJK character.

Sounds OK.  BTW why not 3008 and 3009 instead?

> These definitions are in leim/quail/latin-ltx.el. The same file also
> produces the deprecated angle brackets from \leftparengtr and
> \rightparengtr, but this makes even less sense, since those names should
> properly be used for U+2993 and U+2994, unless I'm completely mistaken.

This is less clear.  I can't find any of \leftparengtr or \rightparengtr
in any TeX package on my system.  Searching for them on the web, leads
to more confusion.  Basically, I think that 2994 for \rightparengtr
would be OK (tho it seems that there's a TeX package that provides it
under the name \rparengtr), but for \leftparengtr
http://www.w3.org/Math/characters/iso8879/isoamsc.html seems to suggest
that 29a0 is a better choice (after all, 2993 is a left paren with
a "less-than" rather than "greater-than" in it).

WDYT?

        Stefan