Subject: 24.1; wrong angle brackets

From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:57:51 +0100

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

With the TeX input method, \langle and \rangle yield the deprecated
characters U+2329 and U+232A rather than the ones at U+27E8 and U+27E9
which are for mathematical use and Western languages. The former
characters should not be used; they are troublesome because of their
canonical equivalence to CJK punctuation, and are frequently rendered
(correctly) as having the full width of a CJK character.

These definitions are in leim/quail/latin-ltx.el. The same file also
produces the deprecated angle brackets from \leftparengtr and
\rightparengtr, but this makes even less sense, since those names should
properly be used for U+2993 and U+2994, unless I'm completely mistaken.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/emacs/24.1/share/emacs/24.1/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll  
bars)
  of 2012-07-30 on bach
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.11003000
Configured using:
  `configure 'CC=/usr/local/gcc/4.3.4/bin/gcc'
  '--prefix=/usr/local/emacs/24.1''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: sv_SE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t SPC e m SPC SPC <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)