Subject: 24.2; Installing GNOME .desktop file to incorrect location

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:49:37 +0000

When compiling and installing Emacs, the GNOME .desktop file is
installed to /usr/local/share/applications; however, according to the
documentation[1], the correct locations are: /usr/share/applications and
~/.local/share/applications. As such, GNOME[-shell] does not allow
opening Emacs through means other than using $PATH.

-- mgsk

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-11-18 on earth
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  yas/global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading em-hist...done
Loading em-ls...done
Loading em-prompt...done
Loading em-script...done
Loading em-term...done
Loading em-unix...done
Loading /home/mgsk/.emacs.d/config-eshell.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mgsk/.emacs.d/config-package.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mgsk/.emacs.d/config-css.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/rainbow-delimiters-1.3.4/rainbow-delimiters hides ~/.emacs.d/rainbow-delimiters
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ledger hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-exp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-keys hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-vm hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-vm
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-agenda hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mhe hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-screen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-freemind hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-freemind
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-comint hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-asymptote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-feed hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mouse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-capture hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-eshell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-w3m hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-macs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-lparse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-lparse
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-protocol hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-scheme hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-irc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-docbook hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-docbook
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-timer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-colview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sql hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-bibtex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-list hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-list
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-plantuml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-plot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-tangle hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-habit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-wl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-wl
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-perl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-clojure hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-src hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-src
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-exp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-exp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ocaml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-css hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ref hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-R hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-C hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-gnus hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-calc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-faces hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-jsinfo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-lob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-datetree hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-maxima hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-clock hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-taskjuggler hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-id hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-id
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-exp-blocks hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-icalendar hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-attach hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-entities hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-odt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-odt
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-special-blocks hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-pcomplete hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-ascii hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-ascii
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-java hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-picolisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-shen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-octave hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mobile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-rmail hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-beamer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-beamer
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sh hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-table
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-indent hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-fortran hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ditaa hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mks hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mks
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sqlite hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-docview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-archive hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-lilypond hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-eval hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-dot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-inlinetask hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-awk hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-ctags hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-footnote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sass hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mew hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mew
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-mscgen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mac-message hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-js hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-haskell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-matlab hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-info hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-info
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-remember hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-remember
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-bbdb hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-html hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-html
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-python hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ruby hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-publish hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-publish
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-xoxo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-crypt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-latex
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-table

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils paredit pretty-lambdada
ahg-autoloads col-highlight-autoloads django-theme-autoloads
gist-autoloads haste-autoloads finder-inf highlight-80+-autoloads
hl-line+-autoloads ir-black-theme-autoloads js-comint-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads monokai-theme-autoloads org-autoloads info
paredit-autoloads pastebin-autoloads pastels-on-dark-theme-autoloads
php-mode-autoloads pretty-lambdada-autoloads python-mode-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads scala-mode-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads tango-2-theme-autoloads tron-theme-autoloads
twilight-theme-autoloads vline-autoloads wget-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads yasnippet-bundle-autoloads yasnippet-bundle
dropdown-list yasnippet easymenu cl zen-and-art-theme-autoloads
zenburn-theme-autoloads zencoding-mode-autoloads package tabulated-list
em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp electric em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic esh-opt em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util windmove js-comint paren
molokai-theme edmacro kmacro ido tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
format-spec advice help-fns advice-preload tramp-loaddefs regexp-opt
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)