Subject: bug#12932: closed (Re: bug#12932: 24.2; Installing GNOME .desktop file to incorrect location)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:52:03 +0000

Your bug report

#12932: 24.2; Installing GNOME .desktop file to incorrect location

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12932: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12932
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12932: 24.2; Installing GNOME .desktop file to incorrect location
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:49:55 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 12932 notabug
thanks

> So, again, it seems like a Gnome bug to me if it doesn't check in
> /usr/local as well as /usr (I didn't check whether or not it actually
> does).

Yes, tho I don't care if we should consider it as a bug in Gnome or what
else, but the behavior is correct.
If the user wants to install into /usr, then she should use "--prefix=/usr".

        Stefan

Subject: 24.2; Installing GNOME .desktop file to incorrect location
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:49:37 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When compiling and installing Emacs, the GNOME .desktop file is
installed to /usr/local/share/applications; however, according to the
documentation[1], the correct locations are: /usr/share/applications and
~/.local/share/applications. As such, GNOME[-shell] does not allow
opening Emacs through means other than using $PATH.

-- mgsk

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-11-18 on earth
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  yas/global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading em-hist...done
Loading em-ls...done
Loading em-prompt...done
Loading em-script...done
Loading em-term...done
Loading em-unix...done
Loading /home/mgsk/.emacs.d/config-eshell.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mgsk/.emacs.d/config-package.el (source)...done
Loading /home/mgsk/.emacs.d/config-css.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/rainbow-delimiters-1.3.4/rainbow-delimiters hides ~/.emacs.d/rainbow-delimiters
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ledger hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-exp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-keys hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-vm hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-vm
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-agenda hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mhe hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-screen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-freemind hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-freemind
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-comint hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-asymptote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-feed hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mouse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-capture hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-eshell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-w3m hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-macs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-lparse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-lparse
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-protocol hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-scheme hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-irc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-docbook hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-docbook
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-timer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-colview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sql hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-bibtex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-list hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-list
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-plantuml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-plot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-tangle hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-habit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-wl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-wl
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-perl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-clojure hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-src hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-src
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-exp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-exp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ocaml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-css hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ref hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-R hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-C hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-gnus hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-calc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-faces hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-jsinfo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-lob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-datetree hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-maxima hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-clock hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-taskjuggler hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-id hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-id
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-exp-blocks hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-icalendar hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-attach hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-entities hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-odt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-odt
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-special-blocks hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-pcomplete hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-ascii hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-ascii
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-java hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-picolisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-shen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-octave hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mobile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-rmail hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-beamer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-beamer
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sh hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-table
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-indent hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-fortran hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ditaa hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mks hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mks
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sqlite hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-docview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-archive hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-lilypond hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-eval hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-dot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-inlinetask hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-awk hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-ctags hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-footnote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-sass hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mew hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mew
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-mscgen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-mac-message hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-js hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-haskell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-matlab hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-info hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-info
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-remember hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-remember
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-bbdb hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-html hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-html
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-python hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-ruby hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-publish hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-publish
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-xoxo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-crypt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/org-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/org-latex
/home/mgsk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120610/ob-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/org/ob-table

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils paredit pretty-lambdada
ahg-autoloads col-highlight-autoloads django-theme-autoloads
gist-autoloads haste-autoloads finder-inf highlight-80+-autoloads
hl-line+-autoloads ir-black-theme-autoloads js-comint-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads monokai-theme-autoloads org-autoloads info
paredit-autoloads pastebin-autoloads pastels-on-dark-theme-autoloads
php-mode-autoloads pretty-lambdada-autoloads python-mode-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads scala-mode-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads tango-2-theme-autoloads tron-theme-autoloads
twilight-theme-autoloads vline-autoloads wget-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads yasnippet-bundle-autoloads yasnippet-bundle
dropdown-list yasnippet easymenu cl zen-and-art-theme-autoloads
zenburn-theme-autoloads zencoding-mode-autoloads package tabulated-list
em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp electric em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic esh-opt em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util windmove js-comint paren
molokai-theme edmacro kmacro ido tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
format-spec advice help-fns advice-preload tramp-loaddefs regexp-opt
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)