Subject: bug#12925: 24.1; string-make-unibyte instead of string-as-unibyte

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 15:07:24 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 07:07:25 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Why not make both methods do the same: insert the bytes of the
> > multibyte text into the unibyte buffer?
> 
> I think it's still common to have raw bytes in multibyte buffers.
> Inserting data from these buffers into unibyte buffers works fine.
> (That's the rationale for inserting the "lower byte" in these
> situations.)
> 
> So I don't think we should change this to insert the multibyte text,
> because that'd break stuff.

And signaling an error won't break stuff?

> The question is what to do when inserting multibyte characters in
> unibyte buffers, and I think that's always an error (i.e., it's never
> what the person who wrote the code wanted to happen).

Now I'm confused: you have just explained above that it should
continue working.  What am I missing?

Please note that I wasn't talking about inserting raw bytes, whether
they come from unibyte or multibyte buffers, I was talking about
inserting multibyte text that represents human-readable characters.