Subject: Re: bug#12925: 24.1; string-make-unibyte instead of string-as-unibyte

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 07:07:25 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Why not make both methods do the same: insert the bytes of the
> multibyte text into the unibyte buffer?

I think it's still common to have raw bytes in multibyte buffers.
Inserting data from these buffers into unibyte buffers works fine.
(That's the rationale for inserting the "lower byte" in these
situations.)

So I don't think we should change this to insert the multibyte text,
because that'd break stuff.

The question is what to do when inserting multibyte characters in
unibyte buffers, and I think that's always an error (i.e., it's never
what the person who wrote the code wanted to happen).  I think we should
start off by doing a demoted warning thing, and then segue into
signalling an error at a later date.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no