Subject: bug#12924: 24.3.50; Request: Provide a command to show the node in the manual where a variable is described

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 09:07:33 +0200

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Provide a command `Info-goto-emacs-variable-node', bound to `C-h V',
> that be to variables as `Info-goto-emacs-command-node' (bound to `C-h
> F') is to commands.
>
> That is: `C-h V search-whitespace-regexp' would take me to the info
> node "(emacs) Special Isearch", where this variable is explained.
>
> This would be a useful feature, and would fit quite well in the
> current scheme of help commands (`C-h f/F' for commands; `C-h k/K' for
> keys; and now `C-h v/V' for variables).

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got little response at
the time.)

`C-h V' is taken by `describe-variable' these days, and there's also
`C-h S' to lookup a symbol in the manuals.  I think that adding a new
command to lookup variables, too, would probably be overkill, since
there's not that much overlap between user variables and other symbols
in the manual, usually.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no