Subject: bug#12922: closed (Re: bug#12922: 24.3.50; `make-pointer-invisible' don't seem to work)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:05:03 +0000

Your bug report

#12922: 24.3.50; `make-pointer-invisible' don't seem to work

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12922: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12922
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12922: 24.3.50; `make-pointer-invisible' don't seem to work
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 13:04:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

> I've read this paragraph in (info "(emacs) Display Custom"):
>
>       If the mouse pointer lies inside an Emacs frame, Emacs makes it
>    invisible each time you type a character to insert text, to prevent it
>    from obscuring the text.  (To be precise, the hiding occurs when you
>    type a "self-inserting" character.  *Note Inserting Text::.)  Moving
>    the mouse pointer makes it visible again.  To disable this feature, set
>    the variable `make-pointer-invisible' to `nil'.
>
> When I try to test that feature, the mouse pointer never hides.  It
> only changes between the arrow (when the pointer is over an empty
> area) and the "I-beam" (when the pointer is over some text).
>
> I've tested this with Emacs -Q, with the current trunk, with the
> current emacs-24 branch, and with the 24.2, 24.1 and 23.4 releases.
> In all cases the behavior is the same (mouse pointer remains visible
> after typing text).
>
>
> In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
>   of 2012-11-18 on MS-W7-DANI

This should work with Emacs 25.1.  Bug closed.

Thanks, martin

Subject: 24.3.50; `make-pointer-invisible' don't seem to work
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 13:36:38 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

(Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see what)

I've read this paragraph in (info "(emacs) Display Custom"):

     If the mouse pointer lies inside an Emacs frame, Emacs makes it
  invisible each time you type a character to insert text, to prevent it
  from obscuring the text.  (To be precise, the hiding occurs when you
  type a "self-inserting" character.  *Note Inserting Text::.)  Moving
  the mouse pointer makes it visible again.  To disable this feature, set
  the variable `make-pointer-invisible' to `nil'.

When I try to test that feature, the mouse pointer never hides.  It
only changes between the arrow (when the pointer is over an empty
area) and the "I-beam" (when the pointer is over some text).

I've tested this with Emacs -Q, with the current trunk, with the
current emacs-24 branch, and with the 24.2, 24.1 and 23.4 releases.
In all cases the behavior is the same (mouse pointer remains visible
after typing text).

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-11-18 on MS-W7-DANI
Bzr revision: 110940 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -Ic:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libpng-1.2.37-lib/include -Ic:/emacs/libs/zlib-1.2.5
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.9.2-1-lib/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

-- 
Dani Moncayo