Subject: bug#12922: 24.3.50; `make-pointer-invisible' don't seem to work

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:36:01 +0100

>> > We don't normally do that in the manuals, but feel free to suggest
>> > changes, perhaps Stefan or Chong will accept them.
>>
>> Not sure about the docstrings, but the Emacs Manual has many
>> references to MS-Windows, explaining things specific to that platform,
>> which obviously is TRT, as that is a supported platform.
>
> No, I meant we don't normally say in the manual "this and that feature
> is not (yet) implemented on this and that platform."  Especially if
> that platform is Windows.

I don't see the point of not doing that.

>> The very reason for filing this bug report was that I read about a
>> feature that didn't work for me.  If the documentation had been
>> accurate, I wouldn't have had to send this bug report.
>>
>> IOW, this is a documentation bug.  So, why not fixing it?
>
> Because it's not a documentation bug.  It's a feature that's missing
> on one particular platform.

To me, a documentation bug is a bug in the documentation, i.e., the
program's behavior is the intended one, but the documentation doesn't
describes that behavior.  And that is what happens here.

Definitions aside, the fact is that currently, any user of the
MS-Windows port of Emacs will be confused when she reads about the
`make-pointer-invisible' variable and notice that the actual behavior
of the program does not match the documentation.

-- 
Dani Moncayo