Subject: 23.0.60; key bindings in Emacs.app (and also launching it)

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:40:08 +0100

Hello!

When launching Emacs.app as 'emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ 
Emacs -Q -l .emacs-init.el &' it loads .emacs-init.el as some file,  
not as ELisp code to be executed.

In .emacs I have:

	(global-set-key (kbd "C-©")	'global-set-key)
	(global-set-key [(control ?©)]	'global-set-key)
	(global-set-key [?\C-©]		'global-set-key)
	(global-set-key [C-©]		'global-set-key)
	(global-set-key [A-C-g]		'global-set-key)
	(global-set-key [(alt control ?g)]	'global-set-key)

In all Emacsen I have among the "key translations:"

	A-C-g		global-set-key
	C-©		global-set-key
	<A-C-g>		global-set-key
	<C-©>		global-set-key

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60+22.3 and Carbon Emacs 22.2 I can use the key  
binding. In Emacs.app it is undefined when I press the three keys  
(the Option key is set as no modifier in the preferences). To have  
the key combination working I need to set:

	(global-set-key [C-268632071]	 'global-set-key)

There are some differences in the way Emacs.app interprets pressed  
keys on my German layout Apple keyboard:

Emacs.app		    GNU Emacs 23.0.60+22.3/Carbon Emacs 22.2	keys pressed
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
------------
<C-268632065> is undefined	C-å is undefined			C-å, C-A-a
<C-268632066> is undefined	C-∫ is undefined			C-∫, C-A-b
<C-268632067> is undefined	C-ç is undefined			C-ç, C-A-c
<C-268632068> is undefined	C-∂ is undefined			C-∂, C-A-d
<C-268632069> is undefined	C-€ is undefined			C-€, C-A-e
<C-268632070> is undefined	C-ƒ is undefined			C-ƒ, C-A-f
<C-268632071> is undefined	C-© is undefined			C-©, C-A-g
<C-backspace>			C-ª is undefined			C-ª, C-A-h
<C-tab> is undefined		C-⁄ is undefined			C-⁄, C-A-i
<C-linefeed> is undefined	C-º is undefined			C-º, C-A-j
<C-clear> is undefined		C-∆ is undefined			C-∆, C-A-k
<C-268632076> is undefined	C-@ is set-mark-command			C-@, C-A-l
<C-return> is undefined	  	C-µ is undefined			C-µ, C-A-m
<C-268632078> is undefined	<C-dead-tilde>/C-~ is undefined		C-~, C-A-n
<C-268632079> is undefined	C-ø is undefined			C-ø, C-A-o
<C-268632080> is undefined	C-π is undefined			C-π, C-A-p
<C-268632081> is undefined	C-« is undefined			C-«, C-A-q
<C-pause> is undefined	  	C-® is undefined			C-®, C-A-r
<C-268632083> is undefined	C-‚ is undefined			C-‚, C-A-s
<C-268632084> is undefined	C-† is undefined			C-†, C-A-t
<C-268632085> is undefined	<C-dead-diaeresis>/C-¨ is undefined	C-¨, C- 
A-u
<C-268632086> is undefined	C-√ is undefined			C-√, C-A-v
<C-268632087> is undefined	C-∑ is undefined			C-∑, C-A-w
<C-268632088> is undefined	C-≈ is undefined			C-≈, C-A-x
<C-S-tab> is undefined	  	C-¥ is undefined			C-¥, C-A-y
<C-268632090> is undefined	C-Ω is undefined			C-Ω, C-A-z
„ is self-insert-command	C-„ is undefined			C-„, C-A-^
C-¡ is undefined		C-¡ is undefined			C-¡, C-A-1
C-“ is undefined		C-“ is undefined			C-“, C-A-2
C-¶ is undefined		C-¶ is undefined			C-¶, C-A-3
C-¢ is undefined		C-¢ is undefined			C-¢, C-A-4
<C-escape> is undefined		ESC-					C-[, C-A-5
<C-268632093> is undefined	C-] is abort-recursive-edit		C-], C-A-6
C-| is undefined		C-| is undefined			C-|, C-A-7
C-{ is undefined		C-{ is undefined			C-{, C-A-8
C-} is undefined		C-} is undefined			C-}, C-A-9
C-≠ is undefined		C-≠ is undefined			C-≠, C-A-0
C-¿ is undefined		C-¿ is undefined			C-¿, C-A-ß
' is self-insert-command	C-' is undefined			C-', C-A-´
C-• is undefined		C-• is undefined			C-•, C-A-ü
C-± is undefined		C-± is undefined			C-±, C-A-+
C-œ is undefined		C-œ is undefined			C-œ, C-A-ö
C-æ is undefined		C-æ is undefined			C-æ, C-A-ä
C-‘ is undefined		C-‘ is undefined			C-‘, C-A-#
C-≤ is undefined		C-≤ is undefined			C-≤, C-A-<
C-∞ is undefined		C-∞ is undefined			C-∞, C-A-,
C-… is undefined		C-… is undefined			C-…, C-A-.
C-– is undefined		C-– is undefined			C-–, C-A--

<C-S-268632065> is undefined	C-Å is undefined			C-Å, C-A-S-a
<C-S-268632066> is undefined	C-‹ is undefined			C-‹, C-A-S-b
<C-S-268632067> is undefined	C-Ç is undefined			C-Ç, C-A-S-c
<C-S-268632068> is undefined	C-™ is undefined			C-™, C-A-S-d
<C-S-268632069> is undefined	C-‰ is undefined			C-‰, C-A-S-e
<C-S-268632070> is undefined	C-Ï is undefined			C-Ï, C-A-S-f
<C-S-268632071> is undefined	C-Ì is undefined			C-Ì, C-A-S-g
<C-S-backspace>		    	C-Ó is undefined			C-Ó, C-A-S-h
<C-S-tab> is undefined	    	C-Û is undefined			C-Û, C-A-S-i
<C-S-linefeed> is undefined 	C-ı is undefined			C-ı, C-A-S-j
<C-S-clear> is undefined    	C-ˆ is undefined			C-ˆ, C-A-S-k
<C-S-268632076> is undefined	C-ﬂ is undefined			C-ﬂ, C-A-S-l
<C-S-return> is undefined   	C-˘ is undefined			C-˘, C-A-S-m
<C-S-268632078> is undefined	C-› is undefined			C-›, C-A-S-n
<C-S-268632079> is undefined	C-Ø is undefined			C-Ø, C-A-S-o
<C-S-268632080> is undefined	C-∏ is undefined			C-∏, C-A-S-p
<C-S-268632081> is undefined	C-» is undefined			C-», C-A-S-q
<C-S-pause> is undefined    	C-¸ is undefined			C-¸, C-A-S-r
<C-S-268632083> is undefined	C-Í is undefined			C-Í, C-A-S-s
<C-S-268632084> is undefined	C-˝ is undefined			C-˝, C-A-S-t
<C-S-268632085> is undefined	C-Á is undefined			C-Á, C-A-S-u
<C-S-268632086> is undefined	C-◊ is undefined			C-◊, C-A-S-v
<C-S-268632087> is undefined	C-„ is undefined			C-„, C-A-S-w
<C-S-268632088> is undefined	C-Ù is undefined			C-Ù, C-A-S-x
<C-S-S-tab> is undefined    	C-‡ is undefined			C-‡, C-A-S-y
<C-S-268632090> is undefined	C-ˇ is undefined			C-ˇ, C-A-S-z
C-“ is undefined		C-“ is undefined			C-“, C-A-S-^
C-¬ is undefined		C-¬ is undefined			C-¬, C-A-S-1
C-” is undefined		C-” is undefined			C-”, C-A-S-2
C-# is undefined		C-# is undefined			C-#, C-A-S-3
C-£ is undefined		C-£ is undefined			C-£, C-A-S-4
C-ﬁ is undefined		C-ﬁ is undefined			C-ﬁ, C-A-S-5
C-^ is undefined		<C-S-dead-circumflex>/C-^ is undefined	C-^, C-A-S-6
<C-S-268632092> is undefined	C-\ is toggle-input-method		C-\, C-A-S-7
C-˜ is undefined		C-˜ is undefined			C-~, C-A-S-8
C-· is undefined		C-· is undefined			C-·, C-A-S-9
C-¯ is undefined		C-¯ is undefined			C-¯, C-A-S-0
C-˙ is undefined		C-˙ is undefined			C-˙, C-A-S-ß
˚ is self-insert-command	C-˚ is undefined			C-˚, C-A-S-´
C-° is undefined		C-° is undefined			C-°, C-A-S-ü
C- is undefined		C- is undefined			C-, C-A-S-+
C-Œ is undefined		C-Œ is undefined			C-Œ, C-A-S-ö
C-Æ is undefined		C-Æ is undefined			C-Æ, C-A-S-ä
C-’ is undefined		C-’ is undefined			C-’, C-A-S-#
C-≥ is undefined		C-≥ is undefined			C-≥, C-A-S-<
C-˛ is undefined		C-˛ is undefined			C-˛, C-A-S-,
C-÷ is undefined		C-÷ is undefined			C-÷, C-A-S-.
<C-S-268632095> is undefined	C-— is undefined			C-—, C-A-S--

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, NS apple- 
appkit-824.48)
  of 2008-11-01 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version  
97.112.112.108.101.45.97.112.112.107.105.116.45.56.50.52.46.52.56
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained'  
'--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/ 
calendar23:/Library/Application Support/Emacs/caml:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/system-openssl/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno- 
pointer-sign -bind_at_load -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 - 
fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-move - 
freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps - 
fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp' 'LDFLAGS=- 
bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

Klingon function calls do not have "parameters" - they have  
"arguments" - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.