Subject: bug#12915: 24.2.50; Visiting a file via drag-and-drop should add it to the history ofvisited files

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 09:13:33 -0800

> > Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but what I had in mind was adding to
> > the history every file visited _under direct user request_ (with
> > either `C-x C-f', drag-n-drop, click on dired buffer, jump to
> > bookmark, menu item, command line argument, etc).
> 
> Do you agree that "file displayed" is a good enough approximation?
> What are the cases where Emacs displays a file without it being "under
> direct user request"?

Certainly not.  You are playing with words here: choosing to display the file
is, yes, under direct user request.  That does not mean that choosing to add its
name to the history is under direct user request.

A user requesting that a given file be displayed is one thing.  A user wanting
the name of a file that s?he displays using a particular method (e.g.
command-line arg) to be added to the history is another thing.

Users should be able to specify the name-adding behavior they want.  Simply
adding the name of every file that gets displayed, no matter how, does not give
users the control they deserve.