Subject: bug#12911: closed (Re: bug#12911: 24.3.50; let users decide where (& perhaps whether) `emacs_backtrace.txt' files are written)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:15:03 +0000

Your bug report

#12911: 24.3.50; let users decide where (& perhaps whether) `emacs_backtrace.txt' files are written

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12911: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12911
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12911: 24.3.50; let users decide where (& perhaps whether) `emacs_backtrace.txt' files are written
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 23:10:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:18:29 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> 
> There's no reason for Emacs to change its behavior
> on GNUish hosts.  People on these hosts are used to
> the current behavior with stderr.  Any problems
> in this area are limited to Microsoft platforms, and
> can be solved in a Microsoft-specific way.

There are no problems on Windows, either.

Bug closed.

Subject: 24.3.50; let users decide where (& perhaps whether) `emacs_backtrace.txt' files are written
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:48:20 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Please do not write such files willy nilly to the directory where the
Emacs process was opened (or whatever).  That is not user-friendly.
 
Please let users decide where to write such files.  Consider even giving
them the option to prevent Emacs from writing such files altogether
(short of giving up using Emacs completely).
 
If such user control is not possible, then please confine such files to
somewhere under .emacs.d or some other "hidden" directory that is
typically far from the files that a user accesses using Emacs or other
applications.
 
Users do not want program-debugging information written to their folder
of family vacation photos or their favorite lasagna recipes.
 
Think _user_.  Emacs is about users.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-11-05 on MS-W7-DANI
Bzr revision: 110809 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -I../../libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -I../../libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -I../../libs/libpng-1.2.37-lib/include -I../../libs/zlib-1.2.5
 -I../../libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -I../../libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -I../../libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -I../../libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -I../../libs/gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin/include
 -I../../libs/libiconv-1.9.2-1-lib/include'