Subject: 24.3.50; let users decide where (& perhaps whether) `emacs_backtrace.txt' files are written

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:48:20 -0800

Please do not write such files willy nilly to the directory where the
Emacs process was opened (or whatever).  That is not user-friendly.
 
Please let users decide where to write such files.  Consider even giving
them the option to prevent Emacs from writing such files altogether
(short of giving up using Emacs completely).
 
If such user control is not possible, then please confine such files to
somewhere under .emacs.d or some other "hidden" directory that is
typically far from the files that a user accesses using Emacs or other
applications.
 
Users do not want program-debugging information written to their folder
of family vacation photos or their favorite lasagna recipes.
 
Think _user_.  Emacs is about users.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-11-05 on MS-W7-DANI
Bzr revision: 110809 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -I../../libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -I../../libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -I../../libs/libpng-1.2.37-lib/include -I../../libs/zlib-1.2.5
 -I../../libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -I../../libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -I../../libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -I../../libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -I../../libs/gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin/include
 -I../../libs/libiconv-1.9.2-1-lib/include'