Subject: Re: bug#12908: 24.3.50; file `emacs_backtrace.txt'?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 05:55:53 +0200

> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:19:57 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On 11/17/2012 03:08 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
> >> I must have missed that request; all I see from him in Bug#12908
> >> > is a comment about how to deal with the file names
> > That's because Stefan wrote it in the proper bug thread, and not in this one
> 
> Stefan's comment <http://bugs.gnu.org/12911#11> was in response to the request
> "Please do not write such files willy nilly to the directory where the
> Emacs process was opened (or whatever).  That is not user-friendly."
> Stefan agreed with the request, and suggested ~/.emacs.d.  However,
> the request was about Emacs's behavior on Microsoft Windows.
> 
> On GNU and other non-Microsoft platforms, Emacs already satisfies
> the request, because it relies on its invoker to specify where
> the debugging information will go, and in practice this approach
> works reasonably well on these platforms.  Stefan's comment,
> in context, does not imply that Emacs should change its behavior
> on these platforms.

Then I guess we should close this bug as "wontfix", because I submit
that Emacs on Windows does the same as on Unix, namely, puts this data
on a file in a random (but documented) location on the disk.

The only way the Windows code will be changed to write the file in
.emacs.d is if the Unix code is changed to do the same.