Subject: RE: bug#12911: 24.3.50; let users decide where (& perhaps whether)`emacs_backtrace.txt' filesare written

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:42:01 -0800

> I find an irrelevant distraction that you're discussing "[...] the
> etiquette that applications generally respect on Windows, in order to
> respect the user and user data" when the thread is specifically about
> *one* file, in *one* specific situation, which is a crash backtrace.

It's in fact as far as you can get from irrelevant.  That's precisely what this
bug report is about: the placement by Emacs of that "*one* file, in *one*
specific situation, which is a crash backtrace", into a user folder.

So perhaps this bug report is altogether irrelevant and a distraction to you.
Fair enough.

What can I say, in that case?  We're back to agreeing to disagree.  I think that
that *one* case of disrespecting users should be removed; you think that that
regression should stay, because it is an improvement.

We apparently do not disagree about the other cases for this new feature: the
cases where user folders are not written into.  We both are in favor of the new
feature in those cases.

We apparently disagree only about that *one* corner case, where Emacs apparently
cannot do otherwise than to write its backtrace into a user folder.  That's the
case this bug report is about.