Subject: Re: bug#12911: 24.3.50; let users decide where (& perhaps whether) `emacs_backtrace.txt' files are written

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:02:43 +0200

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:36:36 -0800
> From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Compute the name of the backtrace file when Emacs starts.

Sorry, as long as this is a Windows-specific issue, I don't have any
motivation to go to that length.

> > (Incidentally, %APPDATA% is what we by default treat as HOME, a
> > directory that I'm told is full of lasagna recipes we are not allowed
> > to contaminate.)
> 
> %USERPROFILE% is where I put my lasagna recipes. %APPDATA% is full of
> non-user-visible application data on my system.

That's another sign of what I said earlier: there's no home directory
on Windows.  Yet another candidate is "My Documents" (e.g., bzr uses
it).  But none of them is really for the user, according to Windows
guidelines.

> Is %APPDATA% actually a user-visible directory of some sort on XP?

Yes.  Each user is the owner of her %APPDATA%, and has full access
rights.  That directory is for applications to put their per-user
data.