Subject: bug#1291: 23.0.60; 1) resize-mini-windows: customizable, 2) if grow mini, grow Completions

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:16:33 -0700

This bug appears also in Emacs 22 - please backport the fix.

1. Variable `resize-mini-windows' should be a customizable option. It
is obviously intended to be modified by users.
 
2. 
emacs -Q
M-x load-library tmm
M-x tmm-menubar
 
You'll see that not all candidates in *Completions* are visible. This
is true in spite of the fact that `tmm-menubar' calls
Electric-pop-up-window' which correctly fits the *Completions* window
to the buffer.
 
The problem is that (assuming `resize-mini-window' is non-nil) when
the minibuffer grows to accommodate the default completion candidate
that is inserted in the minibuffer, it takes vertical space away from
*Completions*.
 
Whenever the minibuffer is grown, so should *Completions* be grown to
the same extent (modulo some maximum setting). Otherwise, fitting the
*Completions* window is defeated by the minibuffer resizing.
 
Please fix this in the Lisp code, not the C code, so other libraries
that manipulate the minibuffer differently from vanilla Emacs can also
benefit.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-10-09 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'