Subject: bug#1291: 23.0.60; 1) resize-mini-windows: customizable, 2) if grow mini, grow Completions

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:52:45 +0100

>> Ideally, yes.  But, as I said before, we first need a mechanism that
 >> allows us to establish a connection between such windows and the
 >> minibuffer (we could try to fit a window to its buffer _after_ resizing
 >> the minibuffer, but it's obvious how fragile such a solution would be).
 >
 > Isn't the connection already provided by minibuffer-scroll-window?

In some sense, yes.  But shrink_window_lowest_first concentrates on the
lowest window, disregarding anything else.  And generally we want to
shrink the lowest window; only when it's fit to its buffer we don't.

 > What seems to be missing is the ability to distinguish between the
 > buffer displayed by minibuffer-scroll-window (e.g. *Completions*) and
 > the "parent" buffer of the minibuffer, so that we can determine whether
 > they are different and thus minibuffer-scroll-window should be treated
 > specially.

That's an additional complication, so it seems easier to make the
*Completions* buffer one that doesn't like its windows getting resized.

martin