Subject: Re: bug#12908: 24.3.50; file `emacs_backtrace.txt'?

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:40:46 +0100

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I looked in the Emacs manual, the Elisp manual, and NEWS for some
> information about this file, but found nothing (so there is a doc bug,
> at least).

Yes.

> What is the file for, how are users to use it and control whether and
> where it is written, etc.?

2012-11-02  Eli Zaretskii  <[email-masked]>

        Implement backtrace output for fatal errors on MS-Windows.
        * w32fns.c (CaptureStackBackTrace_proc): New typedef.
        (BACKTRACE_LIMIT_MAX): New macro.
        (w32_backtrace): New function.
        (emacs_abort): Use w32_backtrace when the user chooses not to
        attach a debugger.  Update the text of the abort dialog.

Currently you cannot control where it is written.

As for how to use it, if you have MinGW installed you can use addr2line:

addr2line -e /path/to/emacs.exe < emacs_backtrace.txt

    Juanma