Subject: bug#12895: 24.3.50; Replacement for flet

From: Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:49:01 +0100

11/16/2012 15:34, Stefan Monnier
>>> Overriding a function is bad.  It can mess things up and throw you
>>> majorly off-course when debugging the problem.
>> So are advices.
>
> But advices are much more visible (e.g. they appear in C-h f).
>
>> I have lots of flet in my .emacs, usually to suppress
>> messages from functions which are defined elsewhere. For instance,
>
> So you need just one advice that adds an `inhibit-message' variable and
> then you can let-bind this variable wherever you used flet message.

Ah, I didn't see that's what you were doing in js.el. Fair enough, I'll
do that, thanks!

I did like flet, though, and in general, I think it's annoying to users
to remove/deprecate functionality that are neat ways to get inside lisp
code from outside (dynamic-scoping overrides, advices, etc.)  just
because they are bad practice and make debugging harder. Some of us are
quite happy not modifying emacs source code but hacking into it from the
comfort of our .emacs. But I do understand your reasons for obsoleting
it.