Subject: Re: bug#12895: 24.3.50; Replacement for flet

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 02:21:03 +0100

Hi,

> I'm trying to dynamically bind a function, and used flet
> previously. flet is now apparently obsolete. The docstring suggests
> using cl-flet. But cl-flet does lexical binding, not dynamic. How do I
> get the old behavior (dynamic binding) without using the now-obsolete
> flet? I'm confused by the number of subtly different functions to do the
> same thing - letf, flet, labels, cl-labels, cl-letf, cl-flet - and find
> the docstrings to be unclear. If I understand correctly, letf is what I
> need, but the following does not do what I expect it to (ie suppress the
> message)

No general answer to your question, but something like this my be good
enough for what you want:

(defmacro suppressing-messages (&rest body)
  `(let (message-log-max)
     (with-temp-message ""
       ,@body)))

Michael.