Subject: bug#12893: closed (Re: bug#12893: 24.2.50; url-retrieve fails for localhost)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12893: 24.2.50; url-retrieve fails for localhost

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12893: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12893
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12893: 24.2.50; url-retrieve fails for localhost
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 15:19:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]> writes:

> This might be a duplicate of #17976.  If localhost points at both ::1 and
> 127.0.0.1, then attempting to connect localhost will first try the IPv6,
> and if the server is only listening on IPv4, it will trigger #17976.

Thanks, that's probably it.  I can't confirm that, though, since the
system I saw this on is long gone.  Better close this.

Subject: 24.2.50; url-retrieve fails for localhost
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:57:49 +0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have an HTTP server running, started from an inferior process.

If I evaluate (switch-to-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously
"http://localhost:24959/classes")), it brings me to an empty buffer
which has "failed" in the mode line.

If I call the asynchronous version, it passes this into the callback:

((:error (error connection-failed failed with code 111
 :host localhost :service 24959)))

Strangely, it works if I replace "localhost" with "127.0.0.1" or even
"localhost.localdomain". But neither Firefox nor curl have a problem
with reading from the first version of the URL.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.0)
 of 2012-11-15 on vbx
Bzr revision: 110872 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.10

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-ethan-wspace-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-many-nls-eof-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-no-nl-eof-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-eol-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-tabs-mode: t
  eproject-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<M-return> <M-return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <M-return> C-x C-g C-x C-g C-; g e m f <return> 
M-: <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <return> 
<up> <end> <home> q M-x r v m <return> M-: <up> <up> 
<down> <return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> M-x z o s s i m a <return> M-x z o s s i 
m a - j u m p <return> <down> M-x <return> C-g M-x 
f i n d - l i b <return> z o s s i m a <return> <up> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> 
<C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> 
<C-backspace> l o c a l h o s t C-M-x C-x C-s <C-tab> 
M-. <up> <up> M-. <C-tab> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x 
r e <return>

Recent messages:
zossima.el [Gemfile] -scratch-
Contacting host: localhost:24959
save-current-buffer: Search failed: "

"
Contacting host: localhost:24959
save-current-buffer: Search failed: "

"
Gemfile [zossima.el] -scratch-

Load-path shadows:
/home/gutov/.emacs.d/site-lisp/smartrep.el/smartrep hides ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/smartrep
/home/gutov/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20121014.1043/.dir-locals hides /home/gutov/emacs-bzr/emacs-24/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mule-util
find-func mail-utils network-stream starttls url-cache url-http tls
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-auth zossima
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap json rvm debug unsafep flymake-ruby
flymake-easy flymake ruby-electric ruby-tools subword inf-ruby ruby-mode
helm-misc tramp-cache tramp-sh recentf tree-widget wid-edit bow
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete
format-spec dired-x dired-aux thingatpt helm-tags helm-locate helm-help
helm-external helm-bookmark helm-buffers helm-grep helm-regexp grep
helm-elscreen helm-utils compile helm-match-plugin helm helm-config
elisp-slime-nav etags paredit saveplace win-switch undo-tree diff
diff-hl smartrep face-remap vc-hg vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
diff-mode savehist yasnippet autorevert autopair cua-base winner
point-stack .emacs-loaddefs server auto-complete-autoloads
autopair-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads coffee-mode-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads flymake-coffee-autoloads flymake-ruby-autoloads
flymake-easy-autoloads helm-descbinds-autoloads iedit-autoloads
iy-go-to-char-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads move-text-autoloads
popup-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads ruby-electric-autoloads
ruby-tools-autoloads rvm-autoloads sass-mode-autoloads lisp-mnt
finder-inf starter-kit-bindings-autoloads windmove
starter-kit-lisp-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads
starter-kit-autoloads smex starter-kit-misc warnings ffap url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars ido-ubiquitous ido paren
starter-kit-defuns uniquify magit-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads
smex-autoloads find-file-in-project-autoloads
idle-highlight-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads switch-window-autoloads
typing-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
win-switch-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
zossima-autoloads inf-ruby-autoloads package devenv eproject-extras
ibuf-macs ibuf-ext ibuffer iswitchb ethan-wspace eproject derived
easy-mmode esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util progmodes mmm mmm-auto
mmm-vars mmm-compat cl-macs gv cl keys quail help-mode easymenu hippie
hippie-exp comint ansi-color dired winring ring transpose-frame iflipb
misc prefs help-at-pt cus-start cus-load edmacro kmacro defuns advice
help-fns cl-lib advice-preload time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)