Subject: bug#12891: test-suite AIX 6.1 non-root xlC compiler

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:39:39 -0800

There are a lot of failures there, though none seem to
be all that serious for real-world use.  Probably the best
thing to do is to go through them one by one.  The first
failure is in tests/tail-2/F-vs-missing.sh, and the log
says:

+ rm -rf /data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.20/gt-F-vs-missing.sh.f7EB
rm: cannot remove '/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.20/gt-F-vs-missing.sh.f7EB': File exists

This indicates that coreutils 'rm -rf' somehow missed some
files under that directory, and then tried to remove the
directory without removing the files, or perhaps the kernel
didn't remove the files, or something like that.

Can you please 'truss' the test and see what system calls
were executed near the point of failure?  One way to do that
would be something like this:

   cd tests
   truss -f -o /tmp/tr make check TESTS=tail-2/F-vs-missing.sh

and then look near the end of /tmp/tr.