Subject: bug#12890: read-face-attribute, face-valid-attribute-values do not handle all :underline etc forms

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 15:12:37 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> It might be nice to have the `SPC' in minibuffer-local-completion-map to
> be more DWIM -- don't try to complete if it's "obvious" that the user
> doesn't want completion.  Myself, I've disabled completion on `SPC'
> because it's really annoying, but perhaps there is something we could do
> here?  I.e., if there are no completions, then just insert a `SPC' and
> make that the new default binding for `SPC' here?  
>
> Because I think that would make usability here a lot better.  (It could
> say "No completions; inserting space".)
>
> Opinions?

Thinking about this a bit more, I think it's likely that there are
people that are relying on SPC being bound to
`minibuffer-complete-word', and it would be too annoying to change this
behaviour (even when there are no completions to be had).

It could be added as an option, but I don't think it would be a very
popular option -- people that don't like the SPC behaviour already have

(define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map " " 'self-insert-command)

and the rest wouldn't want to use this, anyway.  So I'm closing this bug
report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no