Subject: bug#12886: 23.2; wrong message for "apropos"

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:35:19 -0500

Mark A. Mandel wrote:

> I am used to using ctl-H ctl-A for "apropos", i.e., find commands by
> looking for substrings.

I can't find any version of Emacs in which C-h C-a runs apropos.
I went back as far as 21.1.

>  But when I use ctl-H ctl-A I see (what I guess is) the Gnu Emacs
> welcome or general info screen

Yes, C-h C-a runs `about-emacs' since Emacs 22.2. Before that, it was
undefined.

> , and the minibuffer says something like "To search for help on a
> subject, use ctl-H ctl-A":

As we can see below in the *Messages* output, it actually says:

  For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

which is true, but pointless, so the messages was removed recently
and will be gone in Emacs 24.3. http://debbugs.gnu.org/12680

> Then I tried ctl-H A, which is in the ctl-H ? help command list. That
> worked, and *that*'s what the minibuffer should say under the general
> info screen.

I disagree that the about-emacs screen needs to mention apropos.

> In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
>  of 2010-05-08 on black.local
[...]
> Recent messages:
> call-interactively: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a. [2 times]