Subject: 23.0.60; completion-ignored-extensions doc bug?

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:42:02 +0100

In response to my bug report #1283:

> > On my system, /lib contains these two files:
> 
> >    libthread_db-1.0.so
> >    libthread_db.so.1
> 
> > When I type `C-x d' or `C-x C-f' and then `/lib/libthr TAB', the path is
> > completed to `/lib/libthread_db.so.1'.  
> 
> > Also on my system, /usr/lib contains these three files:
> 
> >    libthread_db.so
> >    libthreadweaver.so.4
> >    libthreadweaver.so.4.1.0
> 
> > When I type `C-x d' or `C-x C-f' and then `/usr/lib/libthr TAB', the
> > path is completed to `/usr/lib/libthreadweaver.so.4'.  A second TAB
> > tells me this is complete but not unique and the *Completions* buffer
> > shows me (only) libthreadweaver.so.4 and libthreadweaver.so.4.1.0.
> 
> > This is with -Q, and I get the same behavior with completion-styles set
> > to any of `basic', `emacs21', emacs22', or `partial-completion'.

Stefan wrote:

> This is the effect of having ".so" in the completion-ignored-extensions

Thanks, and sorry for forgetting about that.  (But in rereading the doc
string now, it seems either ambiguously worded or even wrong:

"Completion ignores file names ending in any string in this list.
It does not ignore them if all possible completions end in one of
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
these strings or when displaying a list of completions.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It ignores directory names if they match any string in this list which
ends in a slash."

This seems to be saying that the *Completions* buffer should display the
file names libthread_db-1.0.so and libthread_db.so in the above
scenarios, but that is not what happens.  Or am I misconstruing the doc
string?  If so, perhaps it can be rephrased more clearly.

Steve Berman

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.12 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-10-25 on escher