Subject: bug#12872: 24.2; Provide a feature to trigger mode-line redisplay

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:27:49 +0200

This is a feature request: provide a way to trigger mode-line
redisplay when the current line changes.  This is so the mode line
could display information about the current line.

See the discussion of bug #12867 for more context.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-09-17 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Mail

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> C-w <backspace> <C-home> C-c C-s <switch-frame> 
d d d C-c C-n r C-c C-y C-x C-x C-SPC <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <C-end> C-w <return> I 
S-SPC a s k e d SPC R i v c h a r d <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <backspace> <M-right> SPC t o SPC s e 
e SPC w h a t SPC c a n SPC b e SPC d o n e . <return> 
<C-home> C-c C-s <switch-frame> d d SPC d d d d d d 
t <next> <next> t C-x C-s <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
M-1 g <up> <return> C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z n d d d d d p <switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g 
<return>

Recent messages:
No following nondeleted message
Saving file d:/usr/eli/rmail/INBOX...
Wrote d:/usr/eli/rmail/INBOX [2 times]
Getting mail from d:/usr/eli/data/mail.new...
Counting new messages...done (6)
Saving file d:/usr/eli/rmail/INBOX...
Wrote d:/usr/eli/rmail/INBOX [2 times]
Computing summary lines...done
6 new messages read
No following nondeleted message

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug autoconf autoconf-mode skeleton dired-aux pp
descr-text iso-transl etags shell mailcap texinfo utf-7 tar-mode
thai-util thai-word mule-util ebuff-menu electric bug-reference
add-log misearch multi-isearch help-mode view network-stream starttls
tls smtpmail auth-source eieio assoc gnus-util password-cache dabbrev
mailalias sendmail rmailout tcl nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln
nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sgml-mode conf-mode
parse-time generic sh-script executable dired-x dired vc-cvs
face-remap flyspell org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks
find-func org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp
advice help-fns advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs arc-mode archive-mode make-mode autorevert jka-compr
smerge-mode newcomment diff-mode easy-mmode info vc-bzr cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt rmailsum qp rmailmm message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils desktop server filecache mairix cus-edit
easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit saveplace midnight ispell
generic-x paren battery time time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process multi-tty emacs)