Subject: bug#12869: 24.3.50; 'semantic-change-function' and incremental parsing broken by 'define-obsolete-variable-alias' problems

From: Nix <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:35:39 +0000

On 12 Nov 2012, Stefan Monnier told this:

>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Don't know how to make a localized variable an alias")
>>   defvaralias(semantic-edits-new-change-hooks semantic-edits-new-change-functions nil)
>
> I've changed the code (in emacs-24) to use the new name instead of the
> old one, which I believe should fix this problem.

That means I need to learn enough about bzr to figure out how to get at
that change, doesn't it. I was hoping to avoid that, bzr makes my head
spin in a most unpleasant way.

[...]

OK, I give up. I can't even figure out how to get a log of the branch so
I could dig out the version number, and if I try to check out the branch
in a new directory (just to get the diff of one revision?! how
ridiculous) it wants to download the whole thing from upstream again
even though I'm fairly sure I've already got all those revisions here,
or at least 99.95% of them. Figuring the cause of *that* out requires
digging into the million use cases with confusingly similar names that
bzr has separate independent code for and figuring out which is in use
and life is just. too. short.

> Can you confirm that it fixes your use-case?

If I could figure out how to use blasted bloody hateful bzr, sure.
If you have a diff, I could apply it :)

(aside: I have never encountered another project that does half its work
on release branches and then merges them back to the trunk... but then
this is the only project I've ever seen that tries to use bzr branches
in anger.)