Subject: bug#12863: Annoying bug in revert-buffer

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:07:54 -0500

(Please use reply-to-all)

Cecil Westerhof wrote (on Sun, 11 Nov 2012 at 21:25 +0100):

> >> Are you talking about auto-revert-mode?
> >> If so, C-h v auto-revert-interval (default 5 seconds).
> >
> > Actually that's probably irrelevant.
> 
> Yes that is where I am talking about. Emacs sees that the file is
> changed and reloads it in the buffer. But if in the same second the
> file changes again, it is not reloaded.
> 
> Here I am using:
>     GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i586-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.7) of 2011-10-30 on build34
> 
> But I have seen the same problem under Windows. At the moment I do not
> know which version that was. If needed I can retrieve that one also.
> 
> A solution would be: (also) reloading a second after a change.

I'm still unsure if you are talking about auto-revert-mode or an
explicit call to revert-buffer. If I read the code correctly,
revert-buffer does not care about time-stamps. auto-revert-mode does,
and I think in Emacs 24.2 and earlier, file time-stamps were only
stored to second precision. So indeed in Emacs 24.2 and earlier, file
modifications that happened within a second of reverting would
probably be invisible to auto-revert mode.

Emacs 24.3 (not yet released) will use much higher resolution
time-stamps, so this issue should be fixed there.