Subject: bug#1286: comment-dwim on a comment line does not toggle comment

From: Xavier Maillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:25:03 +0100

Xavier Maillard wrote:
   «For my point of view, this is well defined here and it behaves just  
   as described.»

   I agree it's well defined and documented. However, i think it is not  
   intuitive, even people who have used emacs for 3 or more years and  
   are familiar with its terminologies and behaviors.

   when a cursor is on a comment line (whole line is comment) and  
   there's no active region, i don't see any reason it shouldn't just  
   uncomment the line when calling comment-dwim. I would say that, any  
   person, including those using emacs for 3 or more years, who are  
   using comment-dwim for the first time, would expect it to uncomment it.

Speaking for myself, as a more-than-3-years emacs user, I do not
see why it should uncomment anything here. I am used to activate
a commented region and then M-; to uncomment it. M-; has always
done the right thing: comment and indent.

Dunno what other people think about that though.

	Xavier
-- 
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org
http://www.lolica.org