Subject: bug#12855: closed (Re: bug#12855: 24.2; The Messages buffer stops following the appended lines.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12855: 24.2; The Messages buffer stops following the appended lines.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12855: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12855
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12855: 24.2; The Messages buffer stops following the appended lines.
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, Yves Baumes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:22:29 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> The difference is fairly small (not worth changing one for the other),
> but if I had to choose I think I'd prefer the current code.

Done in revision 110859 on the Emacs-24 branch.  Bug closed.

Thanks, martin

Subject: 24.2; The Messages buffer stops following the appended lines.
From: Yves Baumes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:18:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Let's split the frame in two windows only, one for the *scratch* and the
other for *Messages*. From here you have a few lines only in the
*Messages* buffer. And untill now, every new lines introduced because of
a command output is followed. Moreover, I can see the "ghost" cursor at
the end of the buffer and it follows every *Messages* buffer updates.

Then, from the *scratch* buffer, I call the describe-variable key
sequence ( C-h v xxx ). The current buffer being *scratch*, the
*Messages* buffer will be replaced with the *help* buffer.

After finishing to read the description I want to quit it, because I
want the *Messages* buffer to come back. For that, I do: C-x o, thus
switching to the focus to the *Help* buffer, and I just type in 'q' to
quit it and instantly focus back to the *scratch* buffer.

But: When I look into the *Messages* buffer, the "ghost" cursor is no
longer at the same place. It has moved in the middle of the buffer. From
there, the window position relative to the buffer remains the same.
Which is not good because I want to see the *Messages* updates when they
come in.

Regards
Yves.