Subject: bug#1285 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.0.60; minibuffer-complete and `C-x d')

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1285: 23.0.60; minibuffer-complete and `C-x d'

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1285: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1285
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Sat Nov  8 06:25:25 2008
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; minibuffer-complete and `C-x d'
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:25:33 -0500

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> How bout reverting to the old version of dired-read-dir-and-switches
>> then?  (We can keep the new version commented out, so that someone can
>> come back to try and get it working properly later.)
>
> Sure,

Done.

>From [email-masked] Fri Oct 31 13:50:30 2008
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.0.60; minibuffer-complete and `C-x d'
Sender: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:16:07 +0100

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.12 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-10-25 on escher

When I type `C-x d <something> TAB', where `<something>' is any sequence
of characters, then if `<something>' can complete to more than one
directory name, then the *Completions* buffer displays only those
directory names, but no non-directory file names.  But if `<something>'
can complete to a non-directory file name, then it does.  For example,
on my system `C-x d /usr/lib/libv TAB' completes to '/usr/lib/libvisual'
and after a second TAB the *Completions* buffer displays:

Possible completions are:
libvisual-0.4/
libvisual/

But `C-x d /usr/lib/libvisual-0.4. TAB' completes to '/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4.so.0'
and after a second TAB the *Completions* buffer displays:

Possible completions are:
libvisual-0.4.so.0
libvisual-0.4.so.0.0.0

Typing `C-x C-f /usr/lib/libvis TAB' completes to '/usr/lib/libvisual'
and after a second TAB the *Completions* buffer displays:

Possible completions are:
libvisual-0.4.so.0		   libvisual-0.4.so.0.0.0
libvisual-0.4/			   libvisual/

(In Emacs 22.2, `C-x d [or: C-x C-f] /usr/lib/libvis TAB' does just the
latter.)

This is with -Q, and I get the same behavior with completion-styles set
to any of `basic', `emacs21', emacs22', or `partial-completion'.