Subject: 24.2.50; Doc: give an example for a typical entry of `display-buffer-alist'

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 23:50:29 +0100

Hello,

`display-buffer-alist' entries are quite complex.  OTOH, it's not
uncommon that a typical user might need it.  We should give an example
entry, somewhere.

Today, I thought: "I want that *Help* is always displayed in a new frame
when it is not already displayed anywhere".  It took some
time to figure out what was needed:

(add-to-list
 'display-buffer-alist
 '("\\`\\*Help\\*\\'" . ; make *Help* pop up in a new frame when not already displayed
   ((display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-pop-up-frame) .
    ((reusable-frames . t)))))

I think something like that should be included as an example somewhere
in the docs - maybe in the documentation of `display-buffer-alist'
itself, maybe in the manual.

Thanks, and regards,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-11-01 on dex, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20121101-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (wheezy)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.2.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g
 -Wl,--as-needed -znocombreloc' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''