Subject: bug#12848: 24.2.50; Doc: give an example for a typical entry of `display-buffer-alist'

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 01:55:20 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> I tried to provide an example in revision 110885 on the
> Emacs-24 release branch.  Please have a look.

Thanks.  I think your example is good and covers everything necessary.
It's also consistent with the code.  Very good.

Only one part is a bit unclear to me, namely the last sentence of this
paragraph:

|      (display-buffer
|       (get-buffer-create "*foo*")
|       '((display-buffer-reuse-window
|          display-buffer-pop-up-window
|          display-buffer-pop-up-frame)
|         (reusable-frames . 0)
|         (window-height . 10) (window-width . 40)))
| 
| Evaluating the form above will cause `display-buffer' to proceed as
| follows: If `*foo*' already appears on a visible or iconified frame, it
| will reuse its window.  Otherwise, it will try to pop up a new window
| or, if that is impossible, a new frame.  If all these steps fail, it
| will try to use some existing window.

In this case, the behavior depends on `display-buffer-base-action' and
`display-buffer-fallback-action', right?  Maybe we should mention that,
to make "try to use some existing window" a bit more specific.

Many thanks,

Michael.