Subject: Re: bug#12844: 24.2.50; feature request: advice.el: implement `ad-do-interactive'?

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:32:23 -0500

severity 12844 wishlist
thanks

> `defadvice' provides a pseudo variable `ad-do-it' which we all know, it
[...]
> Now I ask if we could do the same for the `interactive' specification.
[...]
> (defadvice debugger-record-expression (around use-eldoc-eval activate)
>   (interactive (with-eldoc-in-minibuffer ad-do-interactive))
>   ad-do-it)

Interesting!
I have a new advice facility waiting to be installed into trunk (not
a replacement for advice.el, instead something much less ambitious but
which should still cover the needs currently satisfied by `defadvice').

So to tell you the truth, I see advice.el as "on the slow way out" and
am not really interested in developing it further.

But my new advice facility suffers from the same shortcoming you
mention, and I agree it would make sense to try and address it.

So, I don't have a solution to offer yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

        Stefan