Subject: bug#12844: closed (Re: bug#12844: 24.2.50; feature request: advice.el: implement `ad-do-interactive'?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12844: 24.2.50; feature request: advice.el: implement `ad-do-interactive'?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12844: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12844
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12844: 24.2.50; feature request: advice.el: implement `ad-do-interactive'?
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:38:58 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> So, I don't have a solution to offer yet, but I'll keep it in mind.

Actually, it was easy enough to implement.  So you can try it out on the
trunk:

    (defun sm-test-advice (&rest _args)
      (interactive (lambda (spec)
                     (with-eldoc-in-minibuffer
                       (advice-eval-interactive-spec spec))))
      nil)
    (advice-add 'debugger-record-expression :before #'sm-test-advice)

-- Stefan

Subject: 24.2.50; feature request: advice.el: implement `ad-do-interactive'?
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 18:40:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I faced this situation too often - that's why I decided to file a bug
report now.

`defadvice' provides a pseudo variable `ad-do-it' which we all know, it
is very practical.  It makes it often unnecessary to copy and paste code
from the original function if we only want to bind some vars to certain
values etc.

Now I ask if we could do the same for the `interactive' specification.
`defadvice' allows to redefine the interactive spec of the original
function - but if it is a (maybe very complicated) list expression,
there's currently no way to refer to it in `defadvice'.

I want to give an example why this would be useful:

The package `eldoc-eval' by Thierry Volpiatto implements a macro
`with-eldoc-in-minibuffer' that enables displaying eldoc information in
the mode-line while an expression is read from the minibuffer.  I wanted
to use this for `debugger-record-expression'.  So I tried:

(defadvice debugger-record-expression (around use-eldoc-eval activate)
  "Use eldoc-eval when reading the expression."
  (with-eldoc-in-minibuffer ad-do-it))

But that doesn't work, because the expression is read in by the
interactive spec of `debugger-record-expression'.

I now have this solution:

(require 'debug)
(defvar debugger-record-expression-orig-interactive-form
  (cdr (interactive-form 'debugger-record-expression)))
(eval `(defadvice debugger-record-expression (around use-eldoc-eval activate)
         "Use eldoc-eval when reading the expression."
         (interactive (with-eldoc-in-minibuffer
                        (list ,@debugger-record-expression-orig-interactive-form)))
         ad-do-it))

Looks not very nice, but works, and it screams for automation.  Dunno if
it's really that easy in general, but it would be a good feature.  I
often missed something like `ad-do-interactive'.  The goal is to use it
like that:

(defadvice debugger-record-expression (around use-eldoc-eval activate)
  (interactive (with-eldoc-in-minibuffer ad-do-interactive))
  ad-do-it)

Regards,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-11-01 on dex, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20121101-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (wheezy)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.2.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.2.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g
 -Wl,--as-needed -znocombreloc' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t