Subject: bug#12840: 24.2.50; ediff: mode-line of control buffer - improvement request

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:08:57 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1.  It would be much more convenient if the "diff ... of ..." part would
> be highlighted somehow, so that it is more visible.  It is an extremely
> relevant information, and can now be recognized very badly.
>
> The function to change would probably be
> `ediff-make-wide-control-buffer-id'.  I tested with this, for example:

[...]

>                             'face 'mode-line-buffer-id))))

I wouldn't mind making that bit bold, but it is somewhat unusual for
modes to do that.  On the other and, there isn't really a lot of other
info in that mode line, so it wouldn't be distracting, either:

> 2. What's the "Quick Help" part for?  I don't see any use for it.  It
> seems to be always present, but it doesn't indicate anything, and I
> cannot click on it.  Also, if I didn't hit ? in the control buffer, the
> only content of this buffer already is "Type ? for help".

The "Quick Help" bit has a popup that says what mouse-2 and mouse-3
does, which seems somewhat helpful.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no