Subject: bug#12832: 24.3.50; Emacs lockup when idle

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:41:05 +0200

> From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:48:41 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I have no time to build Emacs now and have not had it for a very long
> time. However I have seen Emacs freeze a lot of times when it is idle.
> This started to get more common when I moved to a 64-bit windows 7
> (from windows xp, 32-bit).

Those incidents are most probably unrelated to the issue discussed in
this bug, because the timer thread was introduced into Emacs only very
recently, it does not exist in Emacs 24.2 and earlier.

> Reading here I wonder if data are accessed somewhere in a system time
> thread without critical section handling.

That is so vague I cannot even begin thinking about what you have in
mind.

In any case, what Andrew reported looks like some thread is suspended
_while_ it holds a critical section.  So, if anything, this is not
about lack of critical sections usage.