Subject: bug#12797: 24.3.50; mml-atttach-file (C-c C-a) and ido

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:50:18 +0530

Leo <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2012-11-06 07:50 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> By "how `read-file-name' reads file name while doing C-c C-a" you mean
>> when ido-mode is enabled and read-file-name-function is set to something
>> like ido-read-file-name?
>> So, this would be a bug (or missing feature maybe) in IDO, right?
>
> Only if one specifically asks for ido-everywhere which changes
> read-file-name-function.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I now have this in my customizations.

  (custom-set-variables
   '(ido-everywhere t)
   '(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido)))

Retrospectively, I see that choice of `everywhere' is unfortunate.  It
is ambiguous.  So a `both' in `ido-mode' is not the same as
`everywhere'.  The "somewhere" - which is reading file names, as opposed
to visiting it etc - is what everywhere accounts for but both leaves
out.

A user is very unlikely to note subtle differences.

I have hard time understanding what (ido-everywhere) does. 

My recommedation is to have `ido-everywhere' set to t by default or be
set automatically (via a custom set function) whenever `ido-mode' is
changed.

ps: I still don't understand everywhere means.  So I will leave the
proposed change to others.

> Leo

--