Subject: Re: bug#12797: 24.3.50; mml-atttach-file (C-c C-a) and ido

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 22:19:19 -0500

>>> When I am attaching files to mails via C-c C-a, I am fooled in to
>>> thinking that the intereface for reading file is not that of ido but the
>>> default one (Emacs + icomplete).
>> I do not know why you feel this way.  Can you be more precise?
> Try it out.  (May be you don't rely ido much? May be this is the reason
> my "experience" seems a bit "out of place" to you?)
> I gave example of BACKSPACE (which you have stripped).

To clarify: I have not stated any opinion on what you suggest, for the
simple reason that I do not know/understand what it is.
Are you reporting a bug in ido, a bug in icomplete, requesting new
features in icomplete?

>>> Can someone install the needful, so that I don't keep tripping over
>>> differences in the implementation.
>> Your bug report did not make it clear what are "the needful",
>> I'm afraid.
> I have indicated two needfuls - defalias (which needs to be undefaliased
> if ido is turned off) or the (put .. 'ido ..) stuff.  Unfortunately, you
> have deemed it as insubstantial.

No, I just don't understand what they're about.
E.g. why/when do you need them?  Why are they a problem?  Would you want
them to be included in Emacs?  If not, are you saying that it should
be easier to do it in one's .emacs?

> ps: I am arguing for consistency of file-reading/completion experience.
> A user cannot be concerned with who provides the interface - ido,
> iswitchb or anything else.

AFAIK, the default completion is fairly consistent.
The iswitchb completion is inconsistent by nature: it's specific to
buffer completion.
So, this is requesting a change in ido?

        Stefan